This week we did an experiment to test the effects of different drinks on our teeth. We used eggs for this experiment because eggshell is like the enamel on our teeth. We put the boiled eggs into five different cups; one with an energy drink, one with water, one with Capri-Sun, one with a diltuable drink such as Robinsons or Mi-Wadi that had no added sugar and one with coke. We left the eggs in the cups for a week. At the end of the week we took the eggs out of the cups and brushed the eggshell with a toothbrush.
The results are very surprising!
- As you can see from the pictures, water was the least corrosive for our teeth. This is because water is not acidic, therefore it wont corrode or wear down the enamel on our teeth. Water is PH neutral.
- As you would guess, coke was one of the worst drinks for our teeth. The coke even made the eggshell crack open! Can you believe this??!!
- We were very surprised with the sports drink. Sports drinks are always advertised as being good for us, however it was the worst drink of all! The outer layer of the eggshell came off straight away! The eggshell was also very bumpy because it was been worn away. This shows us how bad it is for our teeth!
- Again we were surprised with the Capri-Sun. After the week, the Capri-Sun had turned into a goo! The eggshell also came off very easily! After all, a quarter of a Capri-Sun is sugar!
- Finally, The dilutable drink with no added sugar was ok. It did wear off the eggshell but not like the other drinks! It was a lot harder to try brush the eggshell away.
We couldn't believe how bad some of these drinks were for our teeth!!
If we drink these drinks on a regular basis, it is going to wear away the enamel on our teeth and create holes- None of us want fillings!!
We've decided to try our best to cut down on these drinks and drink more water so our teeth are healthy!